Eclipse SPDIF connection with RCA cable

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse SPDIF connection with RCA cable

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      pgiaccone

Hi all,

I'm an owner of Eventide Eclipse V4. I want to connect it to my MOTU 828 MKIII soundcard via SPDIF IN/OUT using a normal RCA cable (the classic red/white one) and use the Eclipse as an external effect processor in my sequencer (Cubase).

After cable connection, I set-up my Eclipse with DIG-IN: RCA and Clock: DigIn—-Hz.

All seems to work fine…but…after the first enthusiastic moment I noticed that Eclipse is "hearing" only the LEFT channel of the digital audio sent by soundcard. (my best way to demonstrate it is sending two different hard panned signals on L and R and use one of the Eclipse reverbs. The return signal from Eclipse is obviously stereo BUT only the L input is "reverbed").

Watching the MOTU SPDIF out leds it seems that all is working well: the L and R signals are flowing through the s/card. The cable is ok, I've tried another one and I've tried to switch the L and R: the problem is the same…

So the question is: is the SPDIF connection "STEREO to STEREO"? If yes: how to set it up correctly on my Eclipse?

Thanks,

Piero

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

S/PDIF is a stereo format. You don't say what shows on the Eclipse metering so it's hard to know what it is receiving.

But, my guess is that everything is working fine and that you are using a mono preset(s) that is discarding one of the input channels. If this is not the case, please give the exact names or numbers of the presets you are using.

pgiaccone

Ok, solved just reading your reply and thinking about the Eclipse input set-up…
      In LEVELS->I/O MODE I forgot the "guitar" preference "Mono 1": setting the preference to "Stereo" I have the Eclipse listening to the L&R channels.

Thank you!

Piero

andykamov

Gday

I tried doing this setup and it is not working at all. As soon as I switch Dig In to RCA the EXT light flashes constantly. The clock is Digin—-hz as in piero's post. I checked the STATUS and it says 'SRC data error'

I have 1/4 from guitar going to CH1

RCA cables going to creative soundcard in computer

I have V4.01

Any suggestions?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

What you describe shows that the input is not locked to the S/PDIF. I would respectfully suggest that you check the S/PDIF source and the cables.

andykamov

The Cables are fine as i tried another preamp. Just when i plug the RCA cables in the back of the unit( matching the red and white). Level shows it picks up a signal from guitar but nothing sent to my PC

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Things to try:

1) Make sure your PC is running at 44.1 or 48kHz.

2) Make sure "SRC mode"  is set to "off".

2) Connect a single cable from S/PDIF in to out, with Dig-in set to RCA and clock set to "48kHz Internal". If this does not show locked (EXT light off), try another cable. If it still does not, you have a hardware problem and should contact support@eventide.com. If it does show locked, your Eclipse is fine (my guess) and your problem is elsewhere.

willcbanks

I have the same problem.

The EXT light is flashing constantly. I have tried everything I can think of.

DIG-IN = RCA

CLOCK = Int 48 khz or DigIn (makes no difference)

My Soundcard (Focusrite 6i6)  says ‘sync status’ = locked

but the Eventide Eclipse says ‘unlocked’

??! Whats going on?!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Please do the following:

1) Set DIG-IN to XLR or RCA according to which you use.

2) Set SR-CNV to OFF

3) Set CLOCK to INT 48.

4) Plug a cable from the digital input to the digital output specified in (1).

5) if EXT is off, go to (7)

6)  If EXT is always flashing, your unit or cable are faulty. Try a different cable and to to (4).

7) Disconnect the digital cable. If EXT does not flash, your unit is faulty.

8) Reconnect the digital cable, and restart the unit with '5' key held down.

9) Release the key immediately you see "001 Test All"

10) Turn the knob until you see either "510 AES Digital" or "512 S/PDIF Coaxial" as appropriate.

11) Press TAP. The "P=" number should increment every few seconds.

12) Let it run for a few minutes.

13) If either the "E=" or "T=" number are not zero (0), your unit or cable are faulty.

14) If your unit is not faulty, there is some problem with your setup, and you should seek local technical help.

illdani
        nickrose wrote:

Please do the following:

2) Set SR-CNV to OFF

3) Set CLOCK to INT 48.

6)  If EXT is always flashing, your unit or cable are faulty. Try a different cable and to to (4).

8) Reconnect the digital cable, and restart the unit with ‘5’ key held down.

9) Release the key immediately you see “001 Test All”

10) Turn the knob until you see either “510 AES Digital” or “512 S/PDIF Coaxial” as appropriate.

11) Press TAP. The “P=” number should increment every few seconds.

13) If either the “E=” or “T=” number are not zero (0), your unit or cable are faulty.

14) If your unit is not faulty, there is some problem with your setup, and you should seek local technical help.

Hi everyone, 

I have some trouble using SPDIF on RCA, and also noticed some sync problems (not always but sometimes) using adat on toslink. I run the test as suggested (linking in-out and holding the 5 key at the start up) and E T are not zero. I’ve already tried with different cables, memory reset, software reinstallation via flash card… nothig has solved the “ext” flashing when i try to sync with the rme ff400 via spdif. what sould i do? whome may I ask for technical assistance in Italy?

thanks, Daniele

gregsinibaldi
        Participant

Im troubleshooting the same thing here and on #12… How long is a few minutes? Its been 20 min so far and its still testing. My E and T are still 0. Is it safe to tuen it off? 

nickrose wrote:

Please do the following:

2) Set SR-CNV to OFF

3) Set CLOCK to INT 48.

8) Reconnect the digital cable, and restart the unit with ‘5’ key held down.

9) Release the key immediately you see “001 Test All”

10) Turn the knob until you see either “510 AES Digital” or “512 S/PDIF Coaxial” as appropriate.

11) Press TAP. The “P=” number should increment every few seconds.

13) If either the “E=” or “T=” number are not zero (0), your unit or cable are faulty.

willcbanks

I did this and when I select DigIn – it shows 48000Hz and the EXT light is solid orange,

when I select Int 48 kHz the EXT flashes continuosly.

Is it broken?!

I bought this earlier this year from Thomann in Germany. I hope it’s under warranty? I never even used it once yet!

willcbanks

what do you mean “Plug a cable from the digital input to the digital output specified in (1).”

Do you mean connect a cable from the Eclipse SPDIF IN to the Eclipse SPDIF OUT ?!

(I didn’t do that)

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        willcbanks wrote:

what do you mean "Plug a cable from the digital input to the digital output specified in (1)."

Do you mean connect a cable from the Eclipse SPDIF IN to the Eclipse SPDIF OUT ?!

(I didn't do that)

What it says is "1) Set DIG-IN to XLR or RCA according to which you use." 

This means that if you are using SP/DIF, set it to RCA (and of course connect a cable from the Eclipse SPDIF IN to the Eclipse SPDIF OUT).

If you are using AES, set it to XLR and connect the cable between thje AES in and out.

(This may be a language issue – in the USA, a phono is known as an RCA jack, for historical reasons).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Your first stop would be our Italian dealer:

Milano

39 (02) 69016229

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

A few minutes is a small number. Less than 10.

If the P number increments and the E and T are 0, the test is passed.

Fender17
      Participant

Hi Nickrose, I made the 14 step test, you have described here few years back.

If using RCA (several different cables tested)  Ext flashes when SPDIF in and out interconnected. No synchro. RCA out when connected to another gear works. RCA in seems to have problem….

When repeating test with AES, the loop test works as described. And Diagnostic test 510 (for AES) seems to be also OK.  (I let P run to 175 and  E=0 T=0).

Does that mean that RCA in is most probably faulty?

I need to connect gear that has just RCA, not XLR.  Do I need two RCA-XLR cables, or I may use RCA-XLR for Eventide AES in and use RCA-RCA cable for Eventide out? From manual it seems to me that I may use AES as digital input and RCA as digital output… So, just one RCA-XLR cable would do. Or is AES better/more stable and would be better to use it for output as well. (It will go to RCA of Lexicon  MPX 550).

Fender17
        Participant

OK, I have tried, meanwhile. The both cases (2x XLR-RCA cables  OR XLR-RCA for Eclipse  in and RCA-RCA for Eclipse out) work for me (with my gear).

So,  only the question if it is better to use AES sockets for the both (in and out) or it does not matter and RCA is about the same, remains. (The equipment that I connect to Eclipse has only RCA socket )

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.