How to use six foot switches with the H90

Home Forums Products Stompboxes How to use six foot switches with the H90

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      d.talma
      Participant

for my H90 I use a TRS to 2x TS cable connected to two momentary (not latching toggle) switches, and auxiliary switches 1 and 2 work ok. Same for auxiliary switches 4 and 5. How can I control 3 and 6?

Tech specs say  “six foot switches” but I cannot find how. On the H9 tapping the two foot switches together would emulate the 3rd pedal, but if I do that on the H90, the display flickers short, for the rest nothing happens. Is there a special wiring or do you need a special kind of foot switch? I would love to use other foot switches I have lying around as 3 and 6, if I only would know how to connect it. I am handy enough to solder my own (custom) cable if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hello d.talma,

Activating Switch 3 or 6 requires the use of 1N4148 diodes to be wired like the attached diagram. I can’t imagine this could be don’t elegantly as three separate switches. Rather, this is best accomplished in an all-in-one enclosure.

3-button wiring diagram2

d.talma
      Participant

Hi Joe, thanks a lot, that looks very do-able, but I see what you mean about using separate switches instead of one set of three. I could make a custom cable from TRS to 3 x TS, with the diodes integrated in the cable. Will give it some thought, at least I now know how I can make this work. Thanks a lot!

Daniel

d.talma
      Participant

Hi, in case anybody else wants to try this. The diodes arrived, I made a custom split cable with the diodes inline with the cable, and quite a bit of shrink pipe to make sure they sit tight. Works great, I use it with three Boss FS-5U with the polarity switch set to momentary normally open.

Daniel

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        brock
        Participant

Nice work, Daniel.  Creative, if unusual, approach.  Those Boss switches are great for physically ganging together in multiples, and large enough to hit with accuracy.  Reliable for decades of abuse, too.  I have a handful of FS-6s that just won’t quit.

apalazzolo
        Participant

Brilliant!

d.talma
      Participant

thanks, and yes, I love those Boss switches too. Easy to hit, very sturdy, and nice that you can group them. Gonna make a second cable as well, so that I can use all 6 foot switches!

brock
        Participant

I really enjoy seeing DIY approaches from others.  For the 6-way, I’m experimenting with a slightly different route, geared toward the Looper.  Cheap-o small pedalboard, 6 integrated switches, and a couple of expression pedals as a ‘control board’.  There’s still some room to spare, so we’ll see where that takes me.

apalazzolo
        Participant

Wow.  I’d love to see that!

brock
      Participant

Wow. I’d love to see that!

Well, if these mega-storms ever decide to ease up, maybe then I can make some show with real progress.  Turns out that having a consistent connection to the power grid is one essential component.

Correction: This project won’t end up on a “small pedalboard”, or a relatively “cheap-o” one.  I need these 6 main switches (plus two-three 3PDT, shrouded in mystery) spaced apart & easily accessible across the bottom of the ‘board.  And a mini-patch bay along the top / back; no direct hardwiring.

13.8″ x 11″ isn’t going to cut it, with pushing the EXP pedals & H90(s) uphill.  More like 22″ x 12.6″.  Aqua & orange.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.