Updating H9 for CrushStation and Pre/Post Routing Options

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Updating H9 for CrushStation and Pre/Post Routing Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      nsanchez
      Eventide Staff

We put together a quick how-to on updating your H9 and H9 Control to take advantage of the new features and CrushStation algorithm. 

It's a rough draft, but thought we'd get it out as soon as possible to help out.

Let us know what else you'd like to see or if you encounter any problems. 

fuzzmax

Hello. I have the latest software installed on my h9 max but when i go to the store under the h9 icon, no crushtation is available. Does it has to do something with the that i am in canada And it is not available yet?

Styrioci

you have to update the latest version of h9 control app as well

fuzzmax
        styrioci wrote:

you have to update the latest version of h9 control app as well

oh…..i missed that part.  thanx

13cwc13

Is OSX 10.5.8  insufficient for new H9 upgrade?  Up until I downloaded the new control app the old control app worked great.  With an H9 and Timefactor. As soon as I downloaded and installed the 2.4 app it quits immediately. I’m using usb not bluetooth. Mac book pro. Hp Max.  Of course the old control app is gone now so I am dead in the water.

Thanks much,

gkellum
        Participant
        13cwc13 wrote:

Is OSX 10.5.8  insufficient for new H9 upgrade?  Up until I downloaded the new control app the old control app worked great.  With an H9 and Timefactor. As soon as I downloaded and installed the 2.4 app it quits immediately. 

We didn't intentionally drop support for OSX 10.5.  What happened was that Apple started requiring that the iOS version of the app be built against iOS 8 with 64 bit support.  So, we had to upgrade to the latest version of the framework H9 Control is built on top of, and apparently, that's causing problems on OS 10.5.  

We should be able to give you a build of this version of the app that will work on Leopard next week.  We had one ready to go built against the older version of the framework we're using before we learned about Apple's rule change.  For now here's a link to the previous installer: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Installation+Files/Installation+Files+Stompboxes/H9Control_230_MAC.dmg

I'm not sure if we're going to be able to continue to support 10.5 in future releases.  We'll have to look into what's causing the problem(s).

13cwc13

Thank you sir for the prompt response…Perhaps i should just upgrade to snow leopard 10.6 for $20.00?  Would that keep me cool with at least a few more updates?

gkellum
        Participant
        13cwc13 wrote:

Thank you sir for the prompt response…Perhaps i should just upgrade to snow leopard 10.6 for $20.00?  Would that keep me cool with at least a few more updates?

Let me check that on Monday.  We should have a Snow Leopard machine in the office that I could try the latest build out on.

gkellum
        Participant
        13cwc13 wrote:

Perhaps i should just upgrade to snow leopard 10.6 for $20.00?  Would that keep me cool with at least a few more updates?

I just checked the latest build on Snow Leopard, and it works fine on Snow Leopard.  If you updated to Snow Leopard, you should be good for a while.  Eventually Apple will force us to build against iOS 9 of course just like they did iOS 8, and we'll have to upgrade again to the latest version of the framework we're using.  But iOS 9 hasn't even been released yet and who knows if doing so will even cause us the same problems as building against iOS 8 did.  

13cwc13

You guys are great, thank you

Emanuele Sereni
      Participant
      jgoldbach wrote:

We put together a quick how-to on updating your H9 and H9 Control to take advantage of the new features and CrushStation algorithm. 

It’s a rough draft, but thought we’d get it out as soon as possible to help out.

Let us know what else you’d like to see or if you encounter any problems. 

I am a happy owner of two H9, licensed Max.

I immediately made a update to test the new algorithm Crushstation.

Very nice I have to say, but I’m afraid that at the moment there are bugs.

When I lower the volume knob (about half) and when pinch the strings gently H9 fails to capture ALL the notes you play, but only some.

In the same way with these settings when play a long note the decay of the sound is not gradual, but passes from 100% to 0% immediately

Load a small video

Others of you have experienced this problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VrNnnn4l0

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        Emanuele Sereni wrote:

Very nice I have to say, but I'm afraid that at the moment there are bugs.

When I lower the volume knob (about half) and when pinch the strings gently H9 fails to capture ALL the notes you play, but only some.

In the same way with these settings when play a long note the decay of the sound is not gradual, but passes from 100% to 0% immediately

Load a small video

Is the Sag parameter turned up?  This can act like a Gate. You can just turn it down if so.  Also, if the Gate is ON and your guitar signal is somewhat quiet this could happen.  Either turn the Gate OFF or increase the Input Gain into the H9.  

Do either of those suggestions help? 

Emanuele Sereni
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

Emanuele Sereni wrote:

Very nice I have to say, but I’m afraid that at the moment there are bugs.

Load a small video

Is the Sag parameter turned up?  This can act like a Gate. You can just turn it down if so.  Also, if the Gate is ON and your guitar signal is somewhat quiet this could happen.  Either turn the Gate OFF or increase the Input Gain into the H9.  

Do either of those suggestions help? 

hello, I checked on ipad and saw that all presets (except one) the key “gate” is always on.

Turning it off is no problem

Thank You

zachhord

Love crush station! Love Love Love pre/post! But super bummed that my Dsp+FX trails won’t work unless I’m in Post mode. Will that be fixed anytime soon? 

Thanks a ton Eventide! 

Herrsaver

Hello, probably in late I decided to try the Crushstation. I have an iMac with OSX 10.8.5 and an H9 not the Core, not the Max and I updated it with the last Product Release 5.2.0.1 for the CS. Nothing changes under the H9 collection and no CS is showed. What I didn’t do yet is to update the H9 app, I mean, I tried more than twice but when I unzip the folder it says “unable to open H9Control-2.3.0-osx-installer because impossible to confirm developer identity”. So I don’t know what else to do, the iMac and the H9 are with me together since 2014 and this gap drives me crazy. I would appreciate any help

Thank you in advance

Saverio

gkellum
        Participant
        Herrsaver wrote:

What I didn't do yet is to update the H9 app, I mean, I tried more than twice but when I unzip the folder it says "unable to open H9Control-2.3.0-osx-installer because impossible to confirm developer identity". So I don't know what else to do, the iMac and the H9 are with me together since 2014 and this gap drives me crazy. I would appreciate any help

Ok, to open the new release of H9 Control despite that warning, click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of your Mac, open System Preferences, go to Security & Privacy, and in the first page set the 'Allow apps download from'  setting to 'Anywhere'.  Then, open and install H9 Control.  When you're done, you turn that security setting back to what it was if you like.

We do sign our installers for H9 Control so normally you shouldn't see this message, but Apple changed the way that their signing worked at 10.9.4 I think, and ever since then people using systems below 10.9.4 have had sporadic problems running our installers.

air621
      Participant

I set my H9 up for the pre/post setting. So far it’s working great, though something happened and I’m not sure how. I got it set up and then activated the tuner. The signal was coming through despite being set to mute. As well, the tuner was having a real hard time tracking notes. I turned it off and on and it worked fine, but I really hope this doesn’t happen during a gig

gkellum
        Participant
        air621 wrote:

I set my H9 up for the pre/post setting. So far it's working great, though something happened and I'm not sure how. I got it set up and then activated the tuner. The signal was coming through despite being set to mute. As well, the tuner was having a real hard time tracking notes. I turned it off and on and it worked fine, but I really hope this doesn't happen during a gig

My colleague, Nick, was recommending that people reset their system settings after updating if it caused no great inconvenience to do so.  For some reason with this update in particular, people's system settings were getting messed up which was causing odd H9 behavior.  That may explain the strange tuner behavior you were seeing.

Hey guys,

I have two Space for my band : one for my guitar, one for my vocals parts.

My guitar’s Space has the previous update. My new one, for vocals, has the 5.0 beta (with pre-post).

Today, when I used the new one directly in the mixing console ( a Midas Pro, in aux, stereo), there was a buzz (don’t have the english word, sorry). Not electrical one. We made the connection with TRS jack, balanced.

We had to unbalanced the signal with two reverse D.I. to solve the problem. But the sound wasn’t good : all the verbs sounds like “metallic” verb.

We tried my other Space, which has the previous update, and it worked. The verb was beautiful, and the stereo connection with balanced jack did’nt pose a problem.

I just put the previous update in my new Space, I’ll tell you tomorrow if the problem persist and whether the new beta update was the problem or not.

Remi

darren

Speaking of pre/post. Is this possible?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – don't understand your drawing. Hopefully someone smarter than me can reply.

darren

I have the musicom loopswitcher .my H9 sits at this moment at the lost slot. my question is I want to use the pre-post method to get my H9 in one preset before the drive and on the other preset after the drive . how do I connect it with my loop switcher?

achaput

Hi Darren,

It is possible to connect the H9 as you described with the new routings feature. The "Pre/Post" routing allows you to select either the H9's Input 1 / Output 1, or Input 2 Output 2 as the place where the H9 effect will appear. That way, you can place an H9 distortion effect like CrushStation either before or after your other drive pedal.

darren

thaks for the answer. this is how i will connect it. 

darren

OK, I’ve tried that everything worked fine

homeless
      Participant

Is there any plans to be able to assign a Pre/Post setting to the defaults without having to save a duplicate copy?  It’d be nice so I don’t have two copies of a bunch of settings that make things on my screen a little more crowded.  (Even if we couldn’t change each preset individually, it would be nice to assign a Pre/Post routing default to an entire algorithm.  i.e. I don’t think I’d ever place something like “Blackhole” in front of my crunch section so it’d be nice to just say everything in that section defaults to Post and I can change it to Pre on an individual basis.)

Thanks!

timmyo
        homeless wrote:

Is there any plans to be able to assign a Pre/Post setting to the defaults without having to save a duplicate copy?  It’d be nice so I don’t have two copies of a bunch of settings that make things on my screen a little more crowded.  (Even if we couldn’t change each preset individually, it would be nice to assign a Pre/Post routing default to an entire algorithm.  i.e. I don’t think I’d ever place something like “Blackhole” in front of my crunch section so it’d be nice to just say everything in that section defaults to Post and I can change it to Pre on an individual basis.)

Thanks!

Same here – there are some algorithms I’d rather defaulted to Post and if I ever wanted to change them I’d do that – at the minute I have to change almost everything to Post and only have a small handful that are Pre

snakle
        timmyo wrote:
        homeless wrote:

Thanks!

Same here – there are some algorithms I’d rather defaulted to Post and if I ever wanted to change them I’d do that – at the minute I have to change almost everything to Post and only have a small handful that are Pre

Ditto. They released this with the CrunchStation update right? Most of the presets on my the box should be post IMO, or at least they will be in my setup. I think that would be nice to change the factory defaults per algorithm and then you can make individual user presets if you want to have some different.

Wallower
        snakle wrote:
        timmyo wrote:

homeless wrote:

Thanks!

Ditto. They released this with the CrunchStation update right? Most of the presets on my the box should be post IMO, or at least they will be in my setup. I think that would be nice to change the factory defaults per algorithm and then you can make individual user presets if you want to have some different.

I’m guessing no word on this?  Love the pre/post feature but hate having to constantly switch the factory patches to “post”.  Even just a global setting to default all factory patches to “post” would be fine by me.

dftweedie@gmail.com
      Participant

I don’t want to start no trouble with the six-string slingers roun’ here, but … has it ever been under consideration to develop/ provide VST/ AU/ AAX versions of H9 Control with DAW tempo sync option and the ability to auatomate H9 preset parameters from within the DAW.. Software control of hardware past MIDI seems to be the bleeding edge.

As some country singer recently sang: ‘Sure would be cool if you did.”

DF

JegFolay
      Participant

Why did you come with this great option of Pre/Post positioning and not thinking of setting In1 and In2 level gains separately in that only case?

Actually I have the Post (In2/Out2) H9 set in an FX loop. But this loop level is preset and it clips nearly systematically In2 whereas In1 (direct guitar) tops around -20dB.

The trouble comes only for the (clipped) sound going into the H9/Post Input, as my preset loop provides a good level regarding the overall output, and the poor level that may go into In1 (but that’s not quite the problem for me).

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        JegFolay wrote:

Why did you come with this great option of Pre/Post positioning and not thinking of setting In1 and In2 level gains separately in that only case?

Actually I have the Post (In2/Out2) H9 set in an FX loop. But this loop level is preset and it clips nearly systematically In2 whereas In1 (direct guitar) tops around -20dB.

The trouble comes only for the (clipped) sound going into the H9/Post Input, as my preset loop provides a good level regarding the overall output, and the poor level that may go into In1 (but that's not quite the problem for me).

The hardware design was done WAY before we thought about adding the pre/post feature.

The H9 is designed for guitar inputs – if you feed it from a hot effects loop it will overload the front end, meaning no gain controls or software would unclip it. Sorry.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.